(formerly Making It Real and Relevant: TOPICS)
by Heidi Hawks
This topic-based youth ministry program examines a single theme or concept in some detail over a 2-5 week period of time with the goal of addressing the characteristics of spiritual development. This popular stand-alone curriculum is also ideal for J2A congregations seeking additional lesson plans with current multimedia and in included in the Center for Youth Ministry Membership.
Before you order,
download a FREE resource:
and consider becoming a member of the
Center for Youth Ministry!
- To learn that one has a life-purpose and that it is possible to discern what it is
- To seek connection with the inner self (spirit, as opposed to the outer self, the ego)
- To seek connection with God & with the world around one, both natural & human
- To experience transcendence (meaning seeing how one fits into the bigger picture)
The companion lectionary-based lessons (see Making It Real and Relevant) were originally developed for 9-12th graders at Heidi's church while these topic-based lessons subsequently were designed for younger youth at the request of churches using the original program. Since then, churces have found that both versions work with all ages and they choose the version best suited to their needs or preferences. Some congregations choose to use both programs with different age groups--especially since only a few of the lessons are shared by both programs. This enables them to provide six years of programming.
God Talks! is available as a subscription/membership program. This means that you pay an annual fee, based on your average weekly worship attendance. Then your leaders can access lessons and select and download those they choose to use anytime, 24-7.
Some of the topics now available include:
- At Ground Level: Creating, Reforming, Transforming the World (4 weeks)
- Who Am I? (4 weeks)
- All Saint's Day
- Who is God? (4 weeks)
- Advent (3 weeks)
- The Gifts God Gave Me (3 weeks)
- Family-Does it Matter? (3 weeks)
- Lent: Temptation (5 weeks)
- Can I Make A Difference In The World? (2 weeks)
- Making Decisions (6 weeks)
- Faith (4 weeks)
- Tackling the Ten Commandments (5 weeks)
- The Great Commandment: Love (3 weeks)
- Caretakers and Stewards (3 weeks)
- Preparation: Advent (3 weeks)
- Christ Revealed and what it means to be Christian (5 weeks)
- Lent: Living in Faith or Living with Doubt (5 weeks)
- Preparing The Way: Advent (3 weeks)
- Judging and Being Judged (2 weeks)
- Lent: What Did Jesus Do? (5 weeks)
Thi s curriculum has been re-named as "God Talks!" (instead of Making it Real and Relevant: TOPICS) and is being re-formatted for the fall of 2011. Lessons will be replaced as the formating is completed.
NEW! Center for Youth Ministry
God Talks! is now part of our new Center for Youth Ministry Membership. Get God Talks!, Making It Real and Relevant, J2A, four confirmation programs and a host of other youth ministry programs. Check it out HERE.
About Heidi Hawks
Heidi Hawks is a veteran Christian Education and Youth Director with 15 years of Christian Education/Formation experience along with extensive experience teaching, tutoring and mentoring children, youth and adults. She holds Master's degrees in both religion and education and a PhD in Education, specializing in learning, curriculum, and instruction with a focus on faith formation and spiritual development.